Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Makey-Makey prototype documentation

As I started building my Makey-Makey part, or the physical part of this prototype, my initial ideas was to get all 9 keys on Makey-Makey, which are controlled by the 9 wires on the panel, connected to the ground on Makey-Makey.  To do this, I had to use a lot of play-doh on my wire panel to make sure all the wires are connected to the ground, and make it easy to reset the wire panel after each test.



In this way, the computer will read it as all 9 keyboard keys are pushed down simultaneously, when a wire is cut, the computer will detect a key-up event which I coded in as3.

However, I found it is possible that the play-doh to be ripped through when I try to reset the wire panel, and this will cause wires failure of connecting to the ground. And more importantly, my test indicated that the computer cannot detect the key-up event of some keys when all the 9 keys are pressed simultaneously. I tried to modify my code but I could not get it working no matter how I change the code. I then searched web and found out seems our computer keyboard are not capable of test that many keys pressed or released simultaneously, so I started thinking about variations on the physical prototype.

Finally, I decided to connect the scissors to the Makey-Makey ground and when cutting a wire with the scissors, it is inevitable that the scissors and the copper will be connected at one moment and disconnected afterwards, the computer will read this as a key pushed-down and released. Therefore, the computer will easily capture the key-up event and give back the reaction I designed.

What's more, I don't even need the play-doh in this way which will make the prototype more tidy and easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment